Dear Future Employer,
I am excited to be getting back to work soon! I plan to work hard and to make a difference. But I am going to need some accommodations. Over the last year, I have been unemployed and have become accustomed to certain things. But I want this relationship to be successful! So here are some things that I think might help us both – you will gain a focused and committed employee!
- I am concerned about working 5 days/week and all of them in a row. I mean, if I work on a Tuesday, I don’t think it is reasonable for you to expect that I also come in on Wednesday. And Fridays can be tough for anyone, so maybe I could get all of those off – but I’ll work most Thursdays in exchange.
- And while we are on the topic of days of work, lets talk about start time. I’ve never been an morning person, so having a set start time could be difficult. I’ll just come in when I wake up (and after I’ve worked out with my personal trainer now that I can afford one). That way I don’t have to start my day with a jarring alert from an alarm clock. I’ll be much more relaxed and well rested this way.
- There are several days I must leave early – days I am feeling stressed, when I am cooking brown rice for dinner (it takes a long time), Thursdays (so I can get off to my long weekends easier), when there is a major traffic snarl, and days that I need to get to the grocery store (I just hate shopping when it is busy) I will give at least 15 minutes notice.
- Vacation is important – your team members are much more productive with downtime – and with six or seven weeks of vacation, I think I will be able to bring a clear and focused mind to work.
- Your professional office environment requires a certain level of dress and I want to fit in. I would like to request a bi-weekly clothing allowance. How much you provide determines the level of my professional dress.
- I may continue to do some consulting work on the side, this will not interfere with my work for your company about 75% of the time.
With these points – that you can see I’ve been quite reasonable – I think this is going to be a successful win-win relationship. I look forward to your feedback!